Helping Utah Valley Businesses Remain Focused on Business
Law firm in Provo handles litigation and disputes and provides general business law services and counsel
Fillmore Spencer LLC provides local and out-of-state businesses with legal counsel and representation in navigating and litigating critical commercial and other business matters involving governance, regulatory compliance, intellectual property, unfair competition, taxation and employment law.
Our list of clients runs the gamut from owners of mom-and-pop stores to limited-liability companies, partnerships and major corporations. Our clients also represent a wide range of industry sectors, including consumer products, construction, education, energy, financial, food, healthcare, Internet, manufacturing, media, technology, telecommunications and transportation.
Helping your enterprise remove impediments, avoid pitfalls and minimize risk
Fillmore Spencer LLC consists of savvy professionals who know how precious the sources of manpower, time and money are to your enterprise’s success and how litigation costs can compromise opportunities and initiatives. We work with you and any in-house attorneys to carefully manage costs.
We provide counsel and representation in many areas, including:
- Business disputes — We represent your enterprise in negotiations, mediation, arbitration and litigation in such matters as noncompete violations, unfair practices, Title VII discrimination cases, commercial leasing and other contract disputes, zoning violations and appeals, and partnership and shareholder disputes. We attempt to resolve matters short of litigation whenever possible and consistent with your desires.
- Corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships — Our attorneys counsel businesses of all types in entity formation, ownership, operating, reporting, restructuring, owner “buy-sell” agreements, succession planning and other matters. We also assist in business dissolution, providing exit strategies that account for debts, joint venture and other obligations, ramifications for shareholders, tax implications, and licensing, reporting and regulatory requirements.
- Compliance and government relations — Fillmore Spencer LLC helps your enterprise comply with regulatory requirements, inventories regulatory risks and the adequacy of internal controls, and represents you before local, state and federal government agencies.
- Commercial litigation — We prosecute and defend in such commercial litigation matters as international trade and transactions, trade secret theft, fraud, misrepresentation and other unfair business practices, and anticompetitive covenants.
- Contracts — Fillmore Spencer LLC attorneys negotiate transactions and draft contracts to ensure deals proceed as expected. We also help businesses draft nondisclosure agreements and covenants, define independent contractor arrangements, license intellectual property, protect trademarks, copyrights and trade dress, and advise about all manner of other commercial agreements.
- Employment law — Human resources are of the biggest investments a business can make, so we provide employers with preventive advice regarding regulatory risk and intellectual property theft, as well as defense in administrative and court settings. We draft enforceable noncompetition agreements and advise your enterprise how to comply with Equal Opportunity Employment Commission regulations and other employment law.
- Licensing and technology — Fillmore Spencer LLC provides counsel and advice about branding and registration strategies, as well as the licensing of technology, software and other trade secrets. We also manage trademark portfolios and provide vigorous trademark and copyright legal defense and enforcement.
- Mergers and acquisitions — We counsel businesses on merger and acquisition transactions, including stock and asset sales and purchases, leveraged buyouts, tender offers, joint ventures, teaming agreements, venture capital financing and private placements.
- Real estate transactions and development — We counsel and represent businesses in commercial real estate. We investigate real property assets involved in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, review and draft contracts and leases, advise on real estate purchases and sales, leasing, construction defect matters and regulatory appeals.
- Securities law — Our securities law attorneys counsel and litigate in capital-raising transactions and regulatory compliance, assisting in such matters as the creation of capital structure and securities law analysis and preparing filings, private placements, and Securities & Exchange Commission and state disclosure requirements.
- Trademarks and copyrights — We assist businesses in selecting the most protectable trademarks and in registering and contracting to protect them. We also counsel and guide clients in protecting their rights.
- Tax planning — We can advise on strategic tax planning for startups, the structure of corporate sales, acquisitions and mergers, recapitalizations, and other reorganizations, leasing transactions, like-kind exchanges, the formation and structuring of tax-exempt entities, debt workouts, tax planning for both businesses and their executives. We also help enterprises resolve tax audits, liens and levies, as well as unpaid payroll and other back taxes.
- Outside general business counsel — Our Provo lawyers often serve as outside legal counsel, helping small to mid-size businesses level the playing field against the legal resources of much larger businesses. In every instance, we work closely with management and any internal legal counsel or out-of-state counsel to keep court and other legal costs as controlled and predictable as possible.
Give your business a competitive edge
Fillmore Spencer LLC provides legal counsel and representation that effectively asserts and defends an enterprise’s competitive rights while remaining mindful of its budgetary resources. To learn more about how we may be the perfect complement for your business, call (801) 426-8200 or schedule an appointment by contacting us online.